Transmission Possible Damage in Locked Position

I have an Acura 2002 3.5 TL which I normally keep in my garage in the Park (transmission locked) position and the emergency brake off. My wife came home from shopping last week and left her Honda in drive when she exited the car to get the paper. When she noticed the car was moving, she jumped inside and promptly stomped down on the gas pedal instead of the break pedal. She pushed my Acura into the back of the garage and caused considerable damage to my front end. Here is what puzzles me. My tires left no skid marks which means my wheels had turned when she pushed the Acura into the back of the garage. How is this possible with the transmission locked? Can this cause same future damage to the transmission? You all know that the 2002 Acuras had the dreaded transmission problem and were re-called for a fix. Thanks for any ideas or help you may have. Don

Reply to
Don F

If you're asking whether or not the transmission is damaged, there's no way anyone can tell from this report. Have it inspected...

Reply to
Larry in AZ

"Don F" wrote in news:AuLzg.7918$ok5.4086@dukeread01:

Do you have any idea what that "lock" looks like? It's a small gear section that engages a corresponding gear inside the transmission. Contrary to the misperceptions of legions of car owners, it is NOT intended to "lock" the car in position when unattended, except as a backup to the PARKING BRAKE. The locking the car in place is primarily the function and purpose of the PARKING BRAKE.

Some early autmoatics didn't even have a Park position at all. You were intended to hold the car still with the parking brake alone.

No. Not at all. The parking pawl is *designed* to jump out of engagement if presented with excess load. This is to prevent it from damage, which would cause loose metal parts to be released into the transmission's innards. Observers may have heard a loud grinding noise as your car was pushed forwards. They was the gear sector skipping over the gear teeth.

Different problem entirely.

You do realize that had your wife set the PARKING BRAKE when she left her vehicle to get the paper, this incident would not have occurred? It's prevention of this sort of thing that the PARKING BRAKE was installed in the first place.

Use the parking brake. It's there for a reason.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns9812C134E72A8tegger@207.14.116.130:

Sorry, I should be more precise: The incident MAY not have occurred. The probability of the car being pushed forwards greatly decreases when the parking brake is set.

My last post was riddled with grammar and word-usage errors. Shoddy proofreading.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

----------- TeGGer, Thanks for the helpful reply. I did some research *after* I posted and did find information which confirms what you said. The writer said that the locking Pawl was tapered. The reason given was that it would be difficult to release the pawl (if it had a squared edge) from the locked position if the pawl was under load such as parked on a steep incline. For that reason, the pawl is tapered to allow easier disengagement. What I didn't know was if it was possible/probable to cause damage to the transmission after such a violent jolt. You did answer that question, Thanks again Don

Reply to
Don F

"Don F" wrote in news:0g0Ag.8173$ok5.5270@dukeread01:

Yes, that's another reason. The only thing holding the pawl in place is a spring. Should you subject the pawl to excess load, the spring will give, the pawl will ride out of its slot, and the car will move.

Use your parking brake. It can save you mucho dinero.

Reply to
TeGGeR®