Vibration under load

I have an 88 Integra with 155k miles. The engine runs well. Automatic trans shifts firmly. It has developed a vibration under load at about 55mph and up. The vibration is slowly getting worse over time. It's not a tire problem. All the tires are relatively new and in good shape.

Under load, the car vibrates at about tire rotation speed. It seems to be noticeably worse when the car is warmed up. If I let off the gas briefly, the vibration disappears.

Any ideas? I'm hoping this might be const velocity joints.

Reply to
shallowpool

shallowpool wrote in news:1483f0fa-2593-4e44-a4d6- snipped-for-privacy@g26g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:

Might be. Or not.

I have the same problem. Driveshaft replacement did not solve it.

After several years and much study, I have concluded that I have at least one worn transmission bearing, probably the diff pinion bearing.

Really annoying, isn't it? If there's any consolation, the car will run forever with it.

Reply to
Tegger

-

Thanks for the info. It just concerns me because the vibration has gotten noticeably worse in the last year or so, and the feel of it is more than just annoying, it's troubling. I find myself doing what I can to abate the problem when going up hills and such.

Reply to
shallowpool

I had an '88 Accord with a very similar problem. The vibration at speed seemed to be coming from the axle on one side. I took it to a mechanic who couldn't reproduce it at first, but found it after I insisted. After the axle was replaced, there was no more problem.

I figured the axle got slightly bent after the car traveled across country on a car carrier, and they used the axle as a tie-down point.

At your current mileage, it's not unusual for the cv joints to go bad, or the boots rip with age, causing premature failure. Does your vibration problem coming from one side more than another?

dan

Reply to
dan

shallowpool wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v17g2000prc.googlegroups.com:

If it's that bad, you need to have a garage check out the inner CV joints.

If the inner joints have ANY perceptible play, then they're worn.

Reply to
Tegger