warranty question - RSX

Excuse me if this is a stupid question. I bought an RSX a couple of years ago with a 4yr/4k mile bumper to bumper warranty. As I was driving the freeway a few days ago, a pebble hit my front windshield and put a crack about the size of a thumbnail. I don't suppose they'll cover this? If not, does anyone know how much it would cost to replace the front windshield of a 2004 RSX?

Reply to
socal

socal wrote in news:F0VRg.168972$uW1.113018 @fe05.news.easynews.com:

Windshields are not generally covered under warranty. They are often covered under your normal insurance.

However, if I were you, I would make haste to the nearest competent auto glass shop. A ding like you describe can be easily fixed with the resin patch repair for about $60. Those repairs are amazing, and work wonderfully.

If you leave the crack, it will spread and soon be un-fixable, so time is of the essence!

I would, at all costs, attempt to preserve the original windshield as long as possible.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

given that the damage was completely out of my hands, I'm assuming my insurance rate would not be affected?

Reply to
socal

socal wrote in news:vMSSg.47117$ snipped-for-privacy@fe08.news.easynews.com:

Correct.

However, since windshield claims have skyrocketed in the last 15 years or so, many insurance companies will only allow so many replacements on their dime. Mine is one windshield every two years.

In addition, windshield coverage is often a separate charge to your premium these days.

As I said earlier, if all you've got is a star-chip, it would be extremely unwise to replace the factory glass just for that. Get a resin repair done. It is cheap, 100% effective if applied in time, and nearly invisible.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

As stated, look into the repair. If you have full coverage or next to full coverage on your vehicle, many insurance companies will pick up the cost of the repair (provided you go to one of the shops they recommend, which usually covers most glass shops anyway) without you needing to pay the deductable or having any affect on your premiums.

Reply to
oskiller

thanks...I just had this done, and I can't believe how good it worked. It's as if the crack just disappeared (leaving just a tiny chip). I didn't even know such a service existed, so you saved me hundreds.

Reply to
socal

socal wrote in news:mOQWg.62072$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.news.easynews.com:

We had it done on the original windshield on our '99 Tercel. You have to know exactly where and how to look in order to find the patch. Been two years now and it's fine. Just amazing.

Reply to
TeGGeR®