00 A4 check light

Hi guys,     For the past month my engine check light has been on for 4 or 5 days at a time and then goes out. My mechanic said the code
showed as a mass air meter and he'd change that if it came back on. It was on the past few days and this morning I pulled into the gas station and it was on, filled it up and when I cranked it up, it was off. Coincidence or a hint of the issue? 2000 A4 1.8TQ. TIA
--
- Kyle

Try cleaning it, it will most prob be a dirty wire, the MAF is a unit which measures air flow going into the engine, its measured by a small wire which the air passes over, if this wire gets dirty then you can start getting crap fuel economy and poor performance, this is due to the engine management being fooled into thinking there is not enough/too much air going in. (hence the reason why you should not use a oiled air filter).
You will need a special screwdriver bit to remove the MAF and it is located on the rubber intake after the Air Filter it has a couple of wires coming off it.
It may also be just a dodgy connection.