02 A4 Econ button won't turn off

Hi, I have an '02 A4 Avant1.8T and the econo button (light) won't turn off and the AC won't engage. I've tried the defrost and using the auto button, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Thanks for the help! Jeremy

Reply to
lane5531

Possibly the aircon needs a re-gas. I think it shuts down to prevent damage.

HTH

Reply to
Dave

I hope that is the case. That seems like the cheapest solution. The AC didn't seem all that strong this summer. Any idea how much that would cost?

Dave wrote:

Reply to
lane5531

Yes, it should cost around £50.00 in the UK, 80-100$

Reply to
Ronny

Around 100 euros in Finland, to give you a clue :)

Regards, Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen

Recharge is fine, may work for a while, BUT a properly functioning AC system doesn't leak. If the gas has escaped there is a reason. Repairing a slow leak may not be the best choice if it is too expensive, your choice.

Alan

Reply to
wtrplnet

Audi themselves recommend the system is "re-charged" every two years. Is this then somehow unnecessary?

Reply to
Graham

Eventually the system needs to be refilled (not quite accurate term for the job done really). Refrigerant will evaporate (or something like that) over time. I just got my system refilled this summer for the first time and almost half of the refrigerant was gone. Car is 5 years old now.

So, I would say it is not necessary to refill/dry the system every two years. It will last longer in a good shape.

Regards, Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen

How did you know it was time to refill the refrigerant? Was it simply not getting very cold? Thanks for the feedback!

Sami Heikk> > Audi themselves recommend the system is "re-charged" every two years. Is

Reply to
lane5531

Actually I did not wait until the AC stopped blowing cold air anymore, but took it to service beforehand when I did not have a problem with it yet. But you are right with that the symptom is AC cannot provide as cool air as it would in good shape. So when you start to notice that air is not as cold as it used to be, take it to the service. But like said, mine was still in ok shape but still 5 years has passed without service, so I thought it would be time for that.

Regards, Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen

Reason gas is lost is that there is a compressor on the system and the compressor has a driveshaft which exits the compressor casing, is sealed to that casing using the most cost effective means available. The seal being imperfect leaks, hence the need to top-up the system every now and again.

Audi must feel that 2 years is the correct period of time to avoid malfunctioning of the system, at the same time avoiding too much noise about an overly demanding maintenance regime for the equipment but it must be realised that there is no hard and fast period, with some systems not achieving two years and others going considerably longer.

Reply to
Prion

The aircon in my RS6 was certainly becoming noticeably less effective after three years. A regas during the service visit has certainly restored the cooling.

Reply to
Peter Bell

Hi Jeremy,

I read your post about "ECON LIGHT PROBLEM"... I've the same problem in my A4:confused:. Do you solved this problem? Can you tell me how? Thank you very much. Ciao Marcello

Reply to
A4AVANT

The ECON light indicates that the AC compressor is off. Even if you have the heat set to AUTO The AC is off if the ambient temperature is lower than 37F degrees.

Reply to
TonyJ

I thought it means that the A/C has a fault. What does the A4 manual say?

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

I think so... Unfortunatly I think my clima has a fault.... I'll go in a Audi service....

Reply to
A4AVANT