02 A4 Econ button won't turn off

Hi, I have an '02 A4 Avant1.8T and the econo button (light) won't turn off and the AC won't engage. I've tried the defrost and using the auto button, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what might be
causing this? Thanks for the help! Jeremy

Possibly the aircon needs a re-gas. I think it shuts down to prevent damage.
HTH
I hope that is the case. That seems like the cheapest solution. The AC didn't seem all that strong this summer. Any idea how much that would cost?
Dave wrote:

Yes, it should cost around 50.00 in the UK, 80-100$

Around 100 euros in Finland, to give you a clue :)
Regards, Sami

Recharge is fine, may work for a while, BUT a properly functioning AC system doesn't leak. If the gas has escaped there is a reason. Repairing a slow leak may not be the best choice if it is too expensive, your choice.
Alan
wtrplnet wrote:

Audi themselves recommend the system is "re-charged" every two years. Is this then somehow unnecessary?

Eventually the system needs to be refilled (not quite accurate term for the job done really). Refrigerant will evaporate (or something like that) over time. I just got my system refilled this summer for the first time and almost half of the refrigerant was gone. Car is 5 years old now.
So, I would say it is not necessary to refill/dry the system every two years. It will last longer in a good shape.
Regards, Sami
How did you know it was time to refill the refrigerant? Was it simply not getting very cold? Thanks for the feedback!
Sami Heikkinen wrote:

Actually I did not wait until the AC stopped blowing cold air anymore, but took it to service beforehand when I did not have a problem with it yet. But you are right with that the symptom is AC cannot provide as cool air as it would in good shape. So when you start to notice that air is not as cold as it used to be, take it to the service. But like said, mine was still in ok shape but still 5 years has passed without service, so I thought it would be time for that.
Regards, Sami

Reason gas is lost is that there is a compressor on the system and the compressor has a driveshaft which exits the compressor casing, is sealed to that casing using the most cost effective means available. The seal being imperfect leaks, hence the need to top-up the system every now and again.
Audi must feel that 2 years is the correct period of time to avoid malfunctioning of the system, at the same time avoiding too much noise about an overly demanding maintenance regime for the equipment but it must be realised that there is no hard and fast period, with some systems not achieving two years and others going considerably longer.

The aircon in my RS6 was certainly becoming noticeably less effective after three years. A regas during the service visit has certainly restored the cooling.

Hi Jeremy,
I read your post about "ECON LIGHT PROBLEM"... I've the same problem in my A4:confused:. Do you solved this problem? Can you tell me how? Thank you very much. Ciao Marcello
--
A4AVANT
A4AVANT wrote:

The ECON light indicates that the AC compressor is off. Even if you have the heat set to AUTO The AC is off if the ambient temperature is lower than 37F degrees.

I thought it means that the A/C has a fault. What does the A4 manual say?
--
I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.

I think so... Unfortunatly I think my clima has a fault.... I'll go in a Audi service....
--
A4AVANT