'05 TT 3.2 strange brake "groan"

Hi all,

Just recently my '05 TT started making a strange noise under very specific conditions. When the outdoor air temperature is between roughly 32f and 50f, the car illicits a strange "groaning" sound when I use the brakes while in reverse. When the air temperature is either warmer or colder there is no such noise. And the car otherwise drives normally. I doubt it's anything serious. But, with the weather getting warmer, I'm afraid that I won't be able to reproduce the issue when I bring the car into the dealer next week. So might anyone here have any idea what might be causing this "groan"? Or perhaps know of several things to look at regarding it? I figure it will help with the diagnosis if I can tell the where it might be coming from.

Also....an unrelated question while I have your attention.

Within the past week the car started doing another odd thing -- or rather not doing it. Typically, when you press the "lock" button on the keyless remote, the horm chirps to confirm that the car is indeed locked. However, it has stopped doing so. When I press the "lock" button, the car does lock and the alarm indicator lights begin to flash as they are supposed to. But the horm doesn't chirp. I don't think that it's a case of a bad door sensor, because as I said, the alarm is visibly arming itself when I lock the car. So what could it be? Might I have unwittingly changed a software switch that enables/disables the horn chirp? I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or ideas you might have.

Rob

2005 TT 3.2 DSG 2002 A4 3.0Q
Reply to
+ Rob +

The chirp can be twiddled, so it is possible you twiddled it off....

Reply to
daytripper

Hi Rob,

This is a common problem with Audi brakes - I've had this effect on my TTs (225 and 3.2) and A4s - always when reversing slowly. I think some people have changed their disc pads to non Audi versions with some improvement.

This happened on my 225 TTC and to another friend with their TT. We found that it would suddenly start working again - and then stop again. We tried lots of combinations of unlocking/door opening to try and find the cause, but to no avail. The software should not have changed (I had mine checked via the VAGCOM interface and it was still enabled even though it wasn't working). It may be worth getting it checked with your Audi dealer.

Moley UK TTOC Member

Moley

Thank you for the feedback Moley. It's comforting to know that both of these issues are fairly "normal" and likely don't amount to anything more than mere annoyances. I'll have the Audi techs take a look at them when I bring the car in for its 10k mile service and go from there. Thanks again.

Rob

Reply to
+ Rob +

Rob,

Sorry, ignore my answer to your second problem. I just realised it was the auto lock feature that I this effect, not locking via the key fob - sorry. However, did you realise that if you have the car locked from the inside (when you're driving along) and then open the door using the double pull of the handle, the alarm beep will not operate when you lock it via the key fob? If you operate the key fob button a second time, it works.

Cheers.

Moley

Reply to
Moley
[Snipp

[Snip]

Interesting! I've had that happen on my RS6. One day it works, then it stops working. Checked with VAG-COM - it was still set to auto-lock, so I turned it off and back on again to re-enable it.

Oh, never tried that - I always withdraw the key from the ignition before I get out of the car.

Reply to
Peter Bell