1.8T or 2.8 !?

I am looking to buy an A4 and have been contemplating the 1.8T or the

2.8. I have see a few and asked around and still cannot make up my mind. If i will go for a 2.8 i would not buy older than 1999 b/c of the newer engine is later models. However I do not know if the 1.8T engine changed much between 1997 and 1999. do anyone have any ideas? If I decide on a 1.8t I was going to go for a 97 simply b/c the cheaper price would allow me to invest the money into chipping it, putting a cat bac exhaust and an air intake. having done that what is the max hp increase that i can get? also is this increase going to manifest itself in getting a performance similar to the integra type R for example ? or would i still get the slow acceleration on the low gears? Finally, I have been told that the 1.8T is a very "sensitive" engine and can break down easy so i have to take care about it. how true is that? what is the highest boost pressure i can acheive without affecting the life of the engine or its reliability and durability? Thanks in advance. Imad
Reply to
Imad Al-Ghouleh