1982 Audi 4000S - Potential Refurbishing and 5-cyl. Power Upgrade Questions

Hi all:
A fully loaded example of the above model is on the market locally, and I'm intriged about the possibilities for low-budget restoration and performance upgrades. It is a 2144cc 5-cylinder engine rated at
100 hp (IIRC). Mileage is low, less than 150k km (93k miles). It does not have a cat. The interior and trunk are exceptionally clean.
Firstly, there is minor body rust that is acceptable, EXCEPT for continuous problems around the windshield. There seems to be a light-coloured plastic piece that is lifting off the chrome piece underneath it. This is the one potential (and probable) show-stopper right from the get-go - please advise fixability.
Second, what are the possibilities for bolt-on power upgrades? I know that the throttle body can be upgraded (a la VW 1.8L that I'm more familiar with). Are there parts such as intake & exhaust manifolds, downpipes, camshafts, etc. from subsequent 2.2L and 2.3L versions of this engine that would help? (FWIW, I notice that the 2.2L version is a GTi 1.8L with one cylinder added.) Some good websites or FAQs would be most helpful. Also, where can you obtain performance exhaust systems? I mean something properly engineered along the lines of Techtonics, not like those ubiquitous honduh-style turbo-fart units.
Any advice or experiences are appreciated (or tell my I'm nuts if necessary).
TIA, H2Only
Try asking the forum at audiworld. There are a lot of people moding the 5Ks and should be able to help.
http://forums.audiworld.com/v8 /
Tony '91 100Q 5spd