1984 Audi 5000 Clutch Replacement

I am a rather courages amateur mechanic who has gone as far as replacing front struts on my Audi5000 '84. The car has about 400K miles. The throughout bearing finally went. I lost the ability to switch gears after a month of increasing noise. The clutch itself is probably still good. It was not slipping. How difficult is it to replace the throughout bearing/clutch in this car. Can I do it without a lift? Thanks, Andre

Reply to
Andre

It depends if it is quattro or FWD. quattro is quite a bit more work. I helped a friend replace his 5 speed in a T44 quattro. We did it lying on the garage floor with the car on stands. The most difficult part is dropping the drive shaft because the bolts are difficult to get at. Doable but tedious.

Having a trans stand or jack is important. We didn't, and jury-rigged a floor jack to lift the trans but that was rather dangerous.

If you have a spare weekend, a friend and a good supply of beer it should be a true Audi experience.

Don't forget the Tri Square drives for removing the front axles Get a clutch alignment tool to save a lot of headaches.

Reply to
TonyJ

Thank you, that's useful information. My car is a simple FWD. I've removed the driveaxels before when I hanged the struts and CV joint boots. These actualy use torx screws and not the tri-squares like the later models. I also have a relaxed schedule as long as my 95 A6 is running good. I have a garage space available for making it a multi-weekend project. My brother or a friend can help me if needed. A supply of good German beer should be no problem.

I am assuming that replacing the whole clutch assembly is a must even though it is the bearing that went. I will also take a look at the linkages and grommets. I have had problems of that nature in the past. I can't believe that this car has about 400K miles and the clutch, which is the original clutch was still not slipping.

many thanks, Andre

Reply to
Andre

I have had no problems with T44 clutches in and of the four that I owned and I usually drove them over 200K. Still replacing as long as you are in there is a good idea but re-surfacing the pressure plate might be good enough for it.

You should also look at the rubber bushings also. Another thing to check is the moror mounts.

Have fun. I whould be a straight forward project.

Reply to
TonyJ