1985 4000 S Exhaust Questions

Anyone know where I can get a header for my 85 4KS? It has the 1.8l. I need to replace my exhaust and figure I might as well go from header back. I figure 2 1/4 all the way back should be good. Is it okay to do away with the pre-muffler, etc. I figure I want to have as little restriction as possible. Any ideas or tricks I should know of? How are those super trapp mufflers? Anyone use them?

Jim

Reply to
James

I want to say that I think one of the better manifolds was the 79 Fox dual exhaust manifolds. It might flow better than the single out of our Audi 4KS stock manifolds. Might have a small problem if the 02 sensor is in the manifold though. Someone correct me if I am mistaken. Headers I don't know about. :-(

dave

Just last week I made a return trip to my local custom exhuast shop where I had the Cat replaced with a new generic one, and because they, knowing I was on the cheap, junked my resonators ('pre-mufflers' as you call them) that were falling apart and straight-piped them. The problem was that without the resonators my exhaust sounded like a whailing donkey (that throaty sound that rally race cars make). They've welded in a small generic glass pack upstream of the main muffler and it's now almost as quiet as stock.

If you're in the Boston area then I recommend Lou's Custom Exhaust (N. Reading); they do such a nice job, and weld pipes in tight spaces -- nothing like Speedy or Midas who install droopy systems full of clamps.

{ Please excuse the 'burp' when replying } ¨"°ºOº°"¨¨"°ºOº°"¨¨"°ºOº°"¨¨"°ºOº°"¨"°ºOº°"¨

Reply to
Jaz