1988 Audi 90, Replacing the Starter

Hello all:
I tried replacing the starter on my 1988 Audi 90, understanding that it is one task that you can easily perform. My buddy and I looked under
the car and could not see or feel the other bolt of the starter. (2 bolts of the starter). My Haynes book shows a photo that both bolts should be visible and easy to replace.
Please help.
Ron
Is this the I5 engine? One bolt/nut might be on the backside or transmission side. I remember one Audi with an automatic (maybe V6 engine too) that had one nasty bolt to remove for it's starter. Just hard to get too and I had to make/modify a special wrench for it. I think the book labor might have been closer to 2-3 hours to do for that starter. 8^o
BTW Bentley is a better repair manual since sometimes Haynes can give misinformation, but usually makes for interesting reading. ;-)
later, dave (One out of many daves)

I'm not sure what I5 engine mean...
dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

On 7 Jan 2007 19:18:33 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Inline 5 cylinder by chance?
PeterD wrote:

It's a 5 cylinder engine. Thanks for helping me out.
Should be easy to find those bolts IIRC since it is the 5 cylinder engine. I have done the starter on an 88 Audi 90 with the I5 engine and an automatic transmission. Look on the backside for a nut/bolt and let your fingers do the walking if you have to! It might have a bolt and nut on the bottom and just a bolt on the top. I just can't remember. ;-) later, dave (One out of many daves)

I'm not sure what I5 engine mean...
dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

I5=Inline 5 cylinder engine all cylinders going down a straight line V6=V-shaped 6 cylinders engine with 3 cylinders on one side and 3 cylinders on the other.