1990 100 Dies/Stalls when cornering

It has a lot of miles, but runs well--until recently. When I take a corner, it dies. The lights on the dash come on so it seems the whole system isn't shutting down and staying down. If it were a carbed engine, I would be looking to turn up the idle. In all other aspects, it runs well, but this recent development has me stumped. Thanks for any illumination you can offer.

Reply to
35mmprojection

You might check to see if the steering column is wearing on the ignition wires under the dash. It might also be the airbag spring in the steering wheel is broken and causing a short.

You might also look at the steering rack to see if any wires are being chafed when the steering is moved.

Reply to
TonyJ

When I take a

I have an 80 of the same vintage. Unsure if there are sufficient similarities around the distributor for this to be useful to you...however...when mine did this I eventually found the connector (from the hall effect sensor) on the distributor body had come away / broken, allowing the wiring to chafe on the distributor. Cornering moved the wires and intermittent shorting caused misfiring, loss of power and sometimes complete stoppage. Once the car came straight it was all go again.

Good luck!

Dave

Reply to
DC

And also make sure that the large intake manifold boot is not cracked/broken/loose!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

.

I should have mentioned this car is fuel injected. Thanks to everyone for their input. If/when I get this nailed down, I'll post. Thanks again.

Reply to
35mmprojection

Reply to
TonyJ