1990 AUDI 80 ICV

I am trying to determine if idle controlling valve is not working. When I disconnect the electrical connector with the engine running it has no effect on the idle speed. I removed and cleaned it. It had very
little dirt in it. When I apply 12v to it I get a very small flutter but it remains closed. Should it open fully and stay open with constant power applied? Thanks for any responce.