1990 audi V8 Quattro problem

I was driving my car home today and it was running really well then all the sudden i got an anoying beep to look up and see the little oil can light come on then my car just totally shut off. is this a safety for low oil or oil pressure i cant seem to get it to restart for anything.

Reply to
Wild Bill

You may have broken the timing belt. $$$$

Hopefully, it is something more easy to correct.

You should pull the ECU codes.

If you are not > I was driving my car home today and it was running really well then all

Reply to
TonyJ

Did *all* of your dash warning lights also come on? If they did it probably is a broken timing belt. When you try to start it, does the starter motor sound high pitched like it is turning without any resistence? If this is the case, you definitely have a broken timing belt. Low oil pressure (little oil can light) shouldn't have caused your engine to stop. It might make some clickedyclack noises soon after, but not stop the engine.

Dave (who has never heard that clickedyclack noise) RS6

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

Is there an easy way to check and see for a broken timing belt? The guy i got it from recently changed the timing belt not but a little over a year ago. I cant get it to restart it really sounds like its turning over with not alot of resistance at all and im gettin no spark to the spark plugs. i sure hope its not the timing belt.

Reply to
Wild Bill

Also i dont know if all the lights came on on the dash but it was almost like someone just shut the key off and the engine instanly shut down but nothing else in the car shut off or interupted.

Reply to
Wild Bill

I dont know if all the lights came on on the dash but it was almost like someone just shut the key off and the engine instanly shut down but nothing else in the car shut off or interupted.

Is there an easy way to get the ecu codes without needing a computer reader and how do i do it if u can read them without a special computer?

Reply to
Wild Bill

There is a method for pulling the codes but you would need a manual to interpret them.

Based on your feeling that it is turning over with little resistance and no spark I would guess that you did loose the timing belt. Sorry.

The previous owner may have changed the belt but there are other items involved in the job like tensioners, idler pulleys, water pumps ... that can also cause the failure. If they all had not been changed then the job was not done correctly and I think that you have paid the price.

Flat bed to an Audi shop to verify.

Nice car to have that happen but it sure sounds like that is the problem.

Reply to
TonyJ

Sorry, Bill, but it sounds like a timing belt. The engine would not just suddenly shut off if the oil light came on. Chances are you ate some valves. Tow it to an Audi dealer or have a mech look at it wherever it is. It will be an expensive repair and may not be worth it considering the age of the car. Good luck.

Dave RS6

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

can u pull the distributor caps off and check to see if they are turning would that tell u if the timing belt broke or not?

Reply to
Wild Bill

Is there an easily accessible timing belt cover? If so, pull that and look.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I guess. But believe me, a car's engine does not just suddenly stop like you describe unless it is a timing belt. If you try to start it and the starter is turning without resistance, it is a timing belt.

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

welll pulled the distributor cap when i got home from school today the rotor isnt turning. So im pretty sure its just like everyone says its the timing belt. they want 3000 to put one in it at an audi shop.

Reply to
Wild Bill

That sounds a bit too much. You will priobably find bent valves which would require replacement. If you have it done (I wouldn't) replace the water pump and thermostat. I'm wondering how much you paid for this car and if it is worth this costly repair. It sounds like you were the victim of some smooth talking dude who would say anything to get rid of the car. I'd go back to him and ask when and by whom was the belt changed. You may have a case against him.\

Good luck.

Reply to
Dave LaCourse

i bought the car on a auction and it had a bunch of reciepts from the stuff this guy had done to it. he didnt have the timing belt replaced i looked over the receipt and called the dealer that did the work and it was a serpentine belt so it hadnt been changed in the past.

I payed 225 dollars for the car on the auction cause the day it sold it was snowin and cold and no one showed up and there was no reserves.

What would be a average it should cost to have a new one put in it. i am not sure if i will get it fixed yet or not i might even have my dad try to help me do it myself instead of a shop. its really a nice car and ran awsome before this happened and the leather interior is like new so i hate to junk it but it might still not be worth a fortune to fix.

Reply to
Wild Bill

Other than your current problem, you got a good deal on it. A V8 Quattro in good shape often will sell for $1,500 to $3,000. You need to be sure about the T belt in the V8 because when it fails it is usually considered more expensive to fix than the car is worth.

Replacing the T belt when it hasn't previously failed should cost $1,200 to $1,800. When it has failed it almost surely has broken valves and trashed pistons. The only fix to consider is to replace the engine and that will probably run $4,000. Fixing the engine would run more than that.

Audis are very nice cars but they are merciless on you when you don't keep up on scheduled maintenance.

TonyJ formerly four T44s 2:'84s, '87 and '91 formerly 98.5 A4 TQM APR - RIP current '04 A4 TQM 6speed APR stage 1

Reply to
TonyJ