1990 Quattro Coupe Question

Hi All,

I have an opportunity to pick up a 1990 Quattro Coupe. Looks to be in decent condition considering its age, professionally-maintained, but has 200,000 miles on the original engine. Owner wants $5000, which I believe is a bit optimistic. I understand that not many of these cars came to the U.S., so I'm wondering if its relative rarity makes it a worthwhile addition to my garage. Any obvious trouble spots with these cars? Are parts readily available at reasonable prices? Or would this car be a maintenance nightmare and money pit?

Any and all opinions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Reply to
Kent

Drew Holm

$5075? Here in the Northwest, the Kelley Blue Book private party value for a

1990 CQ in excellent condition is $4205. The car I'm looking at is in fair to good condition, which puts Blue Book at $3160-$3745. A dealer could get $5000-$6000 for a fully reconditioned example with comparable mileage.

My biggest concern is the cost of an engine rebuild. It already has 200,000 miles after all. I'll have the compression checked before I make a purchase decision, but a new engine can't be too far in the future for this car.

Reply to
Kent

Where do you get this from? I have a '90 80q with 203k, and all the cylinders are within 5% of each other.

There's no magical mileage cut-off for engine rebuilt - it's based totally on condition.

An abused motor might not make it to 100k. A well-taken-care-of motor might go past 300k.

I have no doubt my 200k motor has plenty of life left in it, and that if I have to open it up in the next five years, it's because I failed to maintain it properly.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

And I'm sure you'll agree that "condition" is strongly correlated with mileage as well as maintenance, and even the best cared for motors running the slickest oil will eventually need rebuilding, and often before 300,000 miles. I've owned my 1987 GTI since new, have cared for it well, and I've run synthetic since break-in. Still, at 220,000+ miles, it's getting a bit tired and is "breathing heavy" due to wearing rings and valve guides. This is my main data point for being concerned about a CQ with 200,000 miles, as I believe a gasoline engine that doesn't need a full or partial rebuild well beyond 200,000 miles is the exception rather than the rule.

I do see a good number of high-mileage examples like yours, so this bodes well for this car. But since I don't have a complete maintenance history on this particular car, I certainly can't bet good money that it will run to

300,000 miles before it needs a significant infusion of cash for a full or top-end rebuild. Like I said, a compression check will give me a good indication of the current condition of the motor, but I still have to assume that its best years are behind it, and my offering price needs to take that into account.
Reply to
Kent

Valve guides are one thing. Total rebuild is another.

Your post said that "a rebuild can't be that far off," without knowing the first thing about the motor. Of course, when you buy a used car, you should do a pre-purchase inspection that includes a compression and leakdown test. But saying that 200k miles indicates a "not far off" rebuild is just a WAG without any further information.

In the case of my car, you'd be dead wrong. In the case of this Cq, it may need one right now. Or it might be like mine. Only a competent mechanic (shadetree or pro) would be able to tell that after doing the proper testing.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist

E.P. - You're obviously quite proud of your engine's condition. Good for you.

Now, if at all possible, I'd appreciate to hear from someone (preferably a CQ owner) who can perhaps answer my original questions without all the chest pounding:

1) Does this car typically command a significant premium because of it relative rarity in the U.S.? 2) Any obvious trouble spots with these cars? 3) Are parts readily available at reasonable prices, or will I find myself paying dealer markup for common parts?

Again, any (useful) input would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Kent

No, I have no feelings about it one way or another. I'm responding to your B.S. about rebuilds.

Oh, brother. Try and admit that you haven't a clue about what the motor's status in and be done with it.

Pretty much anything having to do with the model 90 and/or the 20V motor will give you a clue. Use Google.

Don't buy through the dealer. Blaufergnugen, etc. all will sell you factory parts without the stealership mark-up.

Oh, Kent - let's be honest. I caught you exaggerating, and now you're embarrassed.

All the info you seek can be answered by searching a bit. Even the bits about engine rebuild frequency.

BTW, I haven't seen a Cq owner post in this ng for years.

E.P.

Reply to
gcmschemist