1992 80 2.0E Gearbox Replacement

Hi,

My 80 has done 171K miles and the gearbox/diff sounds as though it's about to drop out (bad knocking with bumps and rapid throttle changes).

I have the option of getting a 1989 (G reg) same model, but before the facelift, for spares.

The question is ... will the gearbox from the 1989 fit my 1992 ?

Any and all help appreciated.

MFK.

Reply to
Michael Keating

I'd say 'probably', but I'm not certain. Can you get engine/transmission codes from both and compare them?

One other thought: have tou checked the driveshafts/ cv joints, suspension, and engine/gearbox mountings? A gearbox or diff on the way out would usually whine or rumble.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks Chris,

Good point about the shafts and CVs, I do need to check the whole powertrain, haven't had a chance just yet.

MFK

Reply to
Michael Keating