1992 80 2.0E Gearbox Replacement

Hi,
My 80 has done 171K miles and the gearbox/diff sounds as though it's about to drop out (bad knocking with bumps and rapid throttle changes).
I have the option of getting a 1989 (G reg) same model, but before the
facelift, for spares.
The question is ... will the gearbox from the 1989 fit my 1992 ?
Any and all help appreciated.
MFK.
Michael Keating wrote:

codes from both and compare them?
One other thought: have tou checked the driveshafts/ cv joints, suspension, and engine/gearbox mountings? A gearbox or diff on the way out would usually whine or rumble.
Thanks Chris,
Good point about the shafts and CVs, I do need to check the whole powertrain, haven't had a chance just yet.
MFK