1993 90s Instrument Panel

I need some help. I push the button next to the trip odometer and then my speedometer dropped to zero and the main odometer along with the trip odometer will not work. Can someone tell me what the button is I pushed is called and How can I get the speed and odometer working again. thanks for your help in advance.

Reply to
Tracy

Did you do this while the car was moving? Doing this may damage the gears within the odometer.

Reply to
Grizzly

Funny, everybody pushes the button while driving....

Ronald

Reply to
reply

You shouldn't on the older cars......... Since the speedometer "went to zero" it suggests that it was "not zero" when the button was pushed. Sounds like Tracy busted the trip odometer. There's lots of stuff on Audifans about busting the trip while doing a rolling reset - it pushes a plastic gear up a metal shaft in the assembly and it fails to reingage with the motor that drives the odometer. I have never heard that the speedometer drops to zero, but it was a good clue to have. Now Tracy can either live without the odometer (so long as the speedo isn't totally toast) or get a replacement instrument cluster OR (my personal fave) take it apart and see how it works (and maybe even fix it!) - it might be a good thing to have a spare as backup, in case the fix doesn't work (search

See:
Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k

------8 > Did you do this while the car was moving? Doing this may damage the

Reply to
Steve Sears

I guess it is something that 'might' happen but normally doesn't.

Ronald

Reply to
reply

I did until I had a similar occurrence to the above.

Reply to
Grizzly