1993 90S sunroof broken

I usually leave my sunroof cranked up all the way, it's very hot here in California and that helps keep the heat down while I'm not in the car.
Last night I was goign to run the car through a carwash and I
accidentally pusehd the OPEN side of the sunroof button rather than teh CLOSE side. It started making a loud clunking sound - the best way I can describe it, is the motor carried on rotating and every half a second there was a "THUNK" sound.
So I tried to close the sunroof. The flap closed, but then it started to open fully. It went back about 1 or 2 inches and then stopped. The sunroof won't open any more beyond that :-(
Any suggestions?

Replying to my own post :-) So I managed to get the sunroof to fully open and close using the manual crank, there wasn't any resistance so I figured that isn't a problem.
I noticed that when I held the botton to raise the back of the sunroof up, and the motor started "thunking", the gears were still rotating. So, I let them continue to rotate until I found the sweet spot I needed; the point at which pushing the "close" botton lowered the back of the sunroof, and stopped when it was perfectly closed.
This is a workaround at best, it doesn't actually solve the problem, where the motor will still continue to turn even after the back of the sunroof is fully raised. I'm thinkign ther might be a problem with the gears or something, where teh motor isn't meeting enough resistance to make it stop.
if anyone has any suggestions on this I'm all ears.
I can only talk about the T44 series (84 - 91) sunroof but it might be similar.
The have a pair of twisted rods that slide through channels to move the sunroof . They wrap around to the center front where they are driven by a gear pinion on the gear set driven by the motor.
The motor is electrically controlled by a system of micro switches and plastic cam. The cam needs to be in sync with the position of the sunroof.
The system can be re synced by positioning the cam and sunroof after releasing the gears with a lever, moving the components manually and the re-engaging the gears with the same lever.
Your may be more electronically operated that the T44s but there must be some way to re-align it all. Removing the trim will certainly be the first step.
If you search the AudiWorld forums you should be able to find others that have dealt with this problem.
From the T44 standpoint the clunking you describe would indicate a work output pinion on the gear set or worn control rods. It could also be broken or disengaged gears in the actuator.
Good Luck.