1993 Audi 90 Engine and Cluster Won't shut off ??

I take the key out and the car is still running. If I jiggle key enough the engine will cut off, but the instrument cluster lights are on like it's in the AC electrical mode (the step before actually starting the car).

I've replace the starter with a brand new one, that has not helped.

HELP PLEASE!

Reply to
Erik

unplug the ign switch to see if that makes a difference!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I can turn off the by removing ignition switch. Actually, I meant ignition switch and not starter...sorry. But maybe I need yet another one, I replaced that one months and months ago come to think of it.

No it seems like I can get the car OFF with the key in a position that is somewhere in the middle of OFF and START... its like its aligned out of wack...

Reply to
Erik

aftermarket one or one from the dealer? I used an aftermarket ign switch in my '91 Passat and it lasted about 1 week. :-(

So if you unplug it does the engine and all turn off? Yep seems like the ign. switch to me. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

One other thing to check. One the T44 series there was a common problem with the ignition which was due to a pot metal tab that bent and broke in the assembly that operated the electrical part of the ignition switch. The fix was to fix the mechanical part of the switch not the electrical. I am not sure if this is possible in your '93 Audi 90 but might be worth checking.

Reply to
TonyJ

It indeed was the ignition switch. I have Napa aftermarket in now, it actually is GREAT... and 4 OEMs on order ;-)

Thank you all!!!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

fantastic! thanks for posting the solution!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1