1995 A6 Gamma Radio locked in SAFE mode.

Hi,

I have the code and the instructions on how to unlock my radio in 1995 A6. The code does not work. My code starts with "0", yet I cannot make the first digit a "0", only "1" or blank. Could this be the problem?

Andre

Reply to
Andre

AFAIK blank = "0" for the first position/digit ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I guess the radion must have been replaced by the previuos owner because the code that's specified in the radio's manual does not work. The manual which came with the car seems to match the radio exactly.

Andre

Reply to
Andre

So the code can not be entered? Maybe the dealer can get you the code if you get the serial # off the radio.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Not unless you pay for it. Oh, and the serial number on the radio must match the VIN.

I suppose that if you personally knew someone at the dealer, you could get somewhere without those restrictions.

But trying to get a free code out of the dealers nowadays is close to impossible.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

I have called the dealer and asked. I was told that they would have to do a "scan" and that the charge would be at least one work-hour ($110).

What I have to do is to remove the radio and verify that the Radio serial number matches that in the radio manual. I have no reason to believe that the radio was ever replace but I have no way to know for sure. I am also trying to contact the previous owner.

Andre

Reply to
Andre

You may be better off trying to get ahold of a used Gamma that has a code.

E.P.

Reply to
Ed Pirrero

Since you do have a code, can you somehow have the code confirmed? Last year I think one of the VW service personnel "gave" me a code to a radio free, while another one said that it was not possible without the car being there. I hope he was not fired after that! :-) They just want to make some more $$$. I wonder how much they charge to change the batteries in those switchblade keys. 8^o

Of course it would help if you pulled out the radio and wrote down the serial #. ;-) I have even found a couple of radios that had their codes written on them after I pulled them out. If you don't have the original radio, maybe someone did that already. (fingers crossed)

Of course you are entering the code correctly...........right? Some are different and a little tricky too! Or is the radio in "SAFE" mode all of the time?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hi Dave, Thank you for your comments. What did you mean by asking "Or is the radio in "SAFE" mode all of the time?".

Thank radio has worked fine since I bought the car about 2 years ago. The safe code came out after I disconnected the battery and it's been there since then.

Andre

Reply to
Andre

Good that the radio has worked recently.........NOW You must be able to set the radio up to accept the code. It will not accept the code otherwise. Just making sure that we are on the same page. ;-) Do you know the procedure for entering the code and getting the radio out of Safe mode?

I think that you already know how! ;-) later, One out of many daves

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hi Dave,

I do know the procedure and have tried it many times. I must get the radio removal tool, remove the radio and verify that the serial number matches the one in the documentation.

Thanks,

Andre

Reply to
Andre