1996 A4 SE - V5 engine?

Hello people,
I am looking to buy a 1996-1999 Audi A4 and have seen one advertised as 1.8SE V5 engine. I have tried to google this and look on various
websites to find out about this V5 engine but theres not much info. I guess its like a v6 with one less cylinder but whats the benefit?
Can anyone tell me the performance/power, fuel consumption, pros/cons of this engine? I just never had an audi before. Should i just go for a usual 4 cylinder?
thanks,
Zee

you will only have to buy 5 spark plugs and if changing leads, 5 of them. A good thing is there is more room under the bonnet than the V6 when its requires to be worked on.
As for fuel, it will be a little worse than the V4 but better than the V6
otherwise a wonderful engine. I also understand they have used the oval piston/cylinder design on this model.
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:26:52 +0000 (UTC), "Henry"

ahahahahahahahahaha!

The Engine in the 1.8 is a 4 banger it always has been, it's a 20v 4 cylinder, 5 valves per cylinder.
VW released a v5 and I think Audi did back in the early days. the V5 is around 2300cc
So there definately isnt a 1.8 V5? thats interesting since it is advertised as that but i cant seem to find any info on it on the internet. Heres the link but please dont harrass the poster cause of me !
http://www.gumtree.com/london/15/3516015.html

Nah he prob means 5v
hth
Ronny

Nah, definitely 4-pot 20v - 5 valves/cylinder. People get stuff like that wrong all the time.
Called Pete? Join The Pete Collective NOW at www.thepetecollective.co.uk

It's an inline 5 that Audi developed with Volvo. Together with 20 valves and a turbo is a most impressive engine.
Tony 96 S6

Not in an A4, it isn't. There simply isn't room for the I5 in the A4 chassis. I agree with others, the seller has been confused by the 5V logo on the engine covers - indicating 5 *valves* per cylinder.

I was responding to...

The 2300cc engine is the inline 5, aka the 20V, which of course is 4 valves per cylinder.
Tony 96 S6

Ummm... okay. But it's even more confusing - VW did, indeed, produce a V5 (narrow angle 15 degrees?), similar to the VR6. The V5 is 2324cc, and was used in the Golf, Bora and Passat.

Peter Bell wrote:

IIRC, there's the 10V inline 5-cyl, used in the 90/100/200/Ur-Quattro in various forms.
There's the 20v inline 5 used in the Ur-Quattro and S2 (?)
There's a 5 cyl Indirect turbo diesel, used in the 100/200
There's a 5 cyl TDI (direct injection) used in the 100. VW used this detuned for the transporter, and I think this is the Volvo link, as Volvo used it for a while. I've not heard of them using the petrol 5-cyl engines, but since they *did* use the TDI, I'll believe they might ahve done. They certainly used a petrol 5 cyl of some description.
There's the 1.8T 4 cyl with 20 valves that started this thread. Audi badge the engine cover for this 5V, VW/Seat etc use '20V'.
And yes, as stated above, VW use a V5, but Audi have never used it.

I've got one of them and jolly nice it is, too.
--
Skipweasel
Never knowingly understood. (Ivor Cutler)

The 20v is also used in the RS2 and ur-S4 and ur-S6.
Here in Canada, the new Jetta (Bora) comes with a 2.5L I5 20V engine.
Tony 96 S6

Bora was a name used for the previous model of what we call the Jetta. In Europe the new model of what we call the Jetta is called a Jetta as well.
cp