1996 Audi Cabriolet Oxygen Sensor location/replacement

I have a 96 audi cabriolet. The check engine light came on and my friend at a local service station (non-audi) plugged in a tester and it said "oxygen sensor defective - bank 1 sensor 1."
Can anyone tell me where this bank is and how to go about changing it myself. recommended parts co., type, where to buy, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to specd $$$ by driving 1.5 hours to my nearest dealer and pay dearly.
Thanks in advance for a prompt reply.
vtskiman
vtskiman, I'll be the first to say - get a Bentley Manual for the car (not a Haynes nor Chiltons, they're about as useful as an Owner's Manual....or a Mad Magazine). You can find new manuals at the nearest dealer or at www.rb.com or on eBay - you could also post a Wanted ad in Audiworld and Audifans. This way, you pay $$ now, and then have one of the most important tools to fix any future problems. All that said, and having not been any closer to the underhood of a Cabrio than a block away, the OXS sensors are mounted on the exhaust somewhere between the block and just after the cat. If one has failed from old age, it's probably best to replace all of them (2? 4? I dunno). They're also $$$+ at the dealer's parts department, but they're cheap at your local FLAPS if you know how to order a generic n-wire (3 or 4 wire? I dunno) sensor and splice it into the Audi harness. You may need an oxygen sensor socket wrench, and be good at contorting because they're generally not easy to reach nor remove. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ - one three-wire sensor spliced in and operating well 1980 Audi 5k - no oxy sensor 1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes - what's an oxy sensor? (SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)