1997 A4 low gear, low rpm whine

Hi,

My 1997 A4 1.8 manual has in the past few days developed a whine in 1st and 2nd gear. This happens under acceleration and deceleration, but only at fairly low rpm.

Also, I don't know if I'm imagining this, but there seems to be a drop in acceleration..

It's done 131000 miles, and has in the last 5000 miles had a new clutch, new belts (all) and a new water pump.

Anybody have an idea or come across this before ?

Thanks.

Reply to
AshA4

Could be loads of different things.

When was the gearbox fluid last change ? Was it done at the same time as the clutch ? If not, and you think it's gearbox related then change the gearbox oil to see if it goes away.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

I agree with Richard - my '76 MGB tells me when the gearbox oil is low by a whining in the lower gears.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Cheers Guys - will have the GB fluid checked

Reply to
AshA4