1997 A4 TD exhuast valve problem

My A4 is driving me up the wall. OK, so it?s got 200,000 miles on the clock but it?s a 1.9l TD avant 110bhp so surely it should last longer than this.

It has a problem with the exhaust valve which causes the turbo to fail. The valve sticks open usually in third, forth or fifth gear when doing more than 50 mph. It?s been to an Audi garage already to have the part replaced (along with the boost solanoid and the mass air meter) only 6 weeks ago and this weekend it failed again....

The rear suspension arms on the front have also both gone in the last four months and I?m just wondering what is going to go wrong next.

Has anyone else had this problem and has anyone had experience of running an A4 with this kind of mileage? At the moment it?s days are numbered. Apart from that it?s a lovely car and I will be exchanging it for another one if I can afford it!

Reply to
endoftether

Do you mean the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve?

I think it's possible to disable this.

However, are you sure that is the problem? This could also be a failing MAF sensor, a sticking VNT turbo mechanism, or dodgy N75 valve (or vacuum hose/wiring for the N75). The N75 controls the VNT machanism.

Take a look at

and ask in the forums, and have a look at

Chris Bartram

todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum todd ullum

Reply to
Todd Ullum