1998 A6 2.4 - servo type noise from behind dashboard

Hello All!
I've recently purchased a 1998 A6 2.4, and am puzzled by a servo type noise that is coming from behind the dashboard (sounds like a motor is
moving something back and forwards). I only realy notice it when the engine is idling, but it's quite intrusive. I hear the noise whether I have the air con unit switched on or off, and it's pretty much constant.
Anyone have any ideas?
Cheers - Graham
Normal. It is also normal to drive you nuts. Mine does it too. Of course when it stops doing it, it will cost me 750 dollars.
Some little stepper motor buzzing away.
Graham Smith wrote:

Thanks Eddie! Good to know that it's a feature and not a fault. I hope they engineered the part well because it certainly does a lot of work.
Out of idle interest, does anyone know what this motor thing does?