1998 A6 Intermittant Cruise Control

The cruise control on my '98 A6 disconnects randomly while driving. It won't accept a new speed or a 'resume' until after it is switched off and then back on. Sometimes it takes several minutes of being
turned off before it will function again.
Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is it a known problem with Audi cruise controls?
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:55:16 -0400, jay somerset

My experience with this on my '98 A4 was similar, but I did two things: had the vacuum hoses replaced (under warranty) and now when the cruise control lurches (which is/was my problem, not total disconnection), I just press and hold the reset button (no turning off first), and that settles the car down.
jay somerset wrote:

Hello, I have the same problem with the cruise control on my 10/97 A6 with 2.4l engine. It begans, that the cruise control randomly has no function. And now it is very seldom that the cruise control do work. I have checked all cabels from cruise control to main switch, clutch switch, brake switch. I also checked the swithes it seems ok. I don't have checked: -the cabel to the odometer with the cruise signal -the vacuum pump The hoses has no leakage. I'm intereset when you have found your problem.
Martin

This is something the use of a VAG tool or emulator (VAG-COM, for instance) with a copy of the service manual should be able to diagnose with relative ease.
fwiw, I had two cruise control stalks replaced under warranty on my S4, the first the day the brand new car was delivered, the second about two years later. I believe the stalk is identical to that on the A6...
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

without this has an extra cruise control unit and this unit has no interface to the VAG tool.

wiring harness and the cruise control unit with an multimeter. It seem to be ok.
Martin
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:27:39 +0200, Martin Krumpholz

I had a similar problem after my car was at a car cleaning center. They used so much detergent that it creeped into the switch assy at the end of the stalk and the system would only work intermittently. My Audi mechanic just used high pressure air (admittedly right after the cleaning) and some patience and made it work flawlessly again.
I would also rather think in your cases it's the switch assy on the stalk.
Regards
Wolfgang