1998 Audi : A4 1.8T quattro

I am looking to buy a 1998 Audi : A4 1.8T quattro. I looked under the hood and by the looks of it, there is a VW engin in it. 1.8L 20V turbo. Do the
A4's and VW's have rufly the same engin?
Thanks

Yes, although the Audi version should have had an Audi logo on the cover. :)
TT, A4, New Bug, Golf, Jetta, Passat all used those 1.8T engines, just mounted differently and with different accessories.
Pete

hood
Audi is part of Volkswagen so they share a lot of components such as the 1.8 turbo. It's a great engine but with that vintage you need to know for sure that it's been maintained properly with frequent oil and filter changes else you may inherit a problem with sludge buildup in the engine.