1998 Audi A6 Quatro for $9K. Good price?

I recently saw an where they were selling a 1998 Audi A6 Quattro for $9500. It had only 30K miles. Is this a good buy? If I trade in my car (it's an '89 old Volvo), it should lower to $8000-$9000. I've been looking for some time for a nicer car that's under $10K and I saw this one. I have to admit that I know nothing about cars, but when I googled this Audi, most of the reviews were positive (consumerguide.com gave it a Best Buy.). I didn't read the Consumer Reports evaluation, BUT I did notice that it was one of the cars in the "least reliable" category (along with the BMW and Mercedes). I'm considering buying it but my only concern is the price to fix it. I'm on a pretty tight busget (that's why I'm going for used cars) so I I want to make sure that the cost to fix something isn't too extravagant. According to consumerguide, the cost to change shocks and fix brakes is really high compared to other models.

One last question: since it has 30K miles and Audi usually gives a 50K warranty, is it still covered by the existing warranty?

Thanks.

Reply to
VMI

Read what Dale posted here -

He's right on. You should not count on an Audi (especially with the complexity of quattro) being a cheap fix. They need to be maintained at a high level (read = $$$) and unless you can do a lot of the work yourself, it can get expensive. With a used car, you don't know how the previous owner(s) took care of the car, either.... Re: the warranty, my A4 came with a 40k miles warranty but also a 4-year limit - regardless of the mileage on the car, you'd definitely be out of the factory warranty due to time.

All of that said, the A6 is a beautiful car and if it had been available with a manual transmission I might have gotten that over my A4 (which is also a beautiful car....).

Dan D Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58