1998 Audi A6 tdi fuel line filter priming?

Hi Please can someone help. I changed the filters on my A6 yesterday, air filter, oil filter and fuel filter.
Now I have changed the fuel filter, I cannot run the car, it started on
residula fuel in the lines but cut out after 30 seconds.
I filled the fuel filter up manually by removing top nut and pouring diesel in it, but the same happened. Is there a way of priming the system manually? is there a manual priming bulb tucked away somewhere?
I assumed the fuel would self prime but obviosly not. any help gladly appreciated as I had to get the bus home from my friends garage last night, and my car is still there.
thanks Ray
I watched my garage do mine the other day
what you need to is to fill the fuel filter up with diesel start the car up and floor it for about 5 minutes. It sounds terrible i know but thats how mine was done.
If you dont do this you get air pockets in the filter and a real headache

JD wrote:

I'd rather not floor it.
When I changed the filter on my A3 i just kept restarting it when it stalled, and fast idled it while it was running- say 2000 rpm. It will clear given a bit of time.
Thanks Guys
I refilled fuel filter,,,and kept topping it up through vent and eventually it cleared,,,thanks for pointers. ;-) Running fine now!!!
Ray