1999 A4 2.8 Quatro Amplifier Location

Can anyone tell me where the amp for the rear speakers is supposed to be located?

In some series it is located in the rear speaker housing. I am not sure in your case although I owned a '98 A4 until last fall.
Mike wrote:

OK. Thanks Tony. I don't have one. It looks like one of the previous owners had a different receiver with 4 powered outputs and didn't need it. Are there any aftermarket receivers that will slide right in where the Audi radio is now or will they all require some kind of adaptor? I appreciate the help.

If you check the AudiWorld forums you will find a number of threads covering conversions and I think that there are adapters available for slide-in replacements.
Also check on Crutchfield for alternatives: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qk644rIEhee/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c &g3000&I0701774&o=m&a=1&cc&avf=Y