1999 A4's and clutches

I won two A4's 1999 2.8 - both purchased used. The clutches on both have little travel and I assumed that there has been excessive wear. One has 44K and the other 36K in miles and neither show any slippage.

I have been told that there is an issue taht audit is aware of and will cover the first clutch replacement - haves anyone heard of this?

And how do I get them covered when I purchased both used.

Reply to
EJ

Poor assumption unless someone has *wildly* abused them. IME, Audi clutches easily go 200,000 miles more than this before showing any signs of slippage, if then. Even my old 4KQ that saw half a decade of regular autocross launches at 4000 rpm never showed the slightest hint of failure. My guess is, they're prefectly normal.

No, no, and no.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

At least the one in my A4 is extremely weak, as shown when after some 1 minute of reversing along a very narrow street in a village in the Pyrenees it started to become a bit rough. I checked under the bonnet and there was this terrible smell of sth burning and of course I would have never suspected the clutch to be so weak, especially in such a heavy car as an Audi.

Believe me I, I am one of those who never abuse the clutch, only use it as little and as gently as necessary - then again it's a manual, isn't it? Suffice it to say I've never had to replace any clutch in any of my previous cars and this one is still there after some 90 K miles and working fine but showing a few slight symptoms here and there.

I would expect any normal clutch to reach at least 150k under my foot, though I guess it's not going to be this one!

My two cents,

JP Roberts

P.S.: If you go to German tuners, they'll tell you you can get 250 plus PS out of this car but you'll fry the clutch, this being its weakest part.

"C.R. Krieger" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
JP Roberts