1999 Audi A4 1.8 Q Tiptronic problem

When I put the shifter knob over into the manual position, nothing happens, the display remains the same and it still acts like an automatic. I've also
developed a high pitch whine, almost like a jet plane. Could the two be related and is this an easy fix?
TIA
I'd tell you now, but I don't want to ruin your Christmas.

Trust me, my Christmas is already ruined. This will not make it any worse.