1999 Audi A6 Quattro

If the alternator is lit from the console, does this means my alternator is dead? I can still start the car but I believe it will not take long and the
battery will be drain eventually. What does it takes to replace the alternator? Do I have to remove the front end or it can be replaced from underneath? TIA.
your Alternator is going, you are running off your battery only. like you said, your battery will die if you use all your accessories. try to limit your accessory use so that you can last a little longer on your battery life, but you will have to replace your alternator as soon as possible. if you don't know how to replace it yourself, have a pro to do it for you. ACC meaning like your stereo, heater blower, head lights/high beams, heating seats if any ... anything that drains your power faster.

Thanks for the input. Would you know if replacing the alternator I have to remove the front end or it can be done underneath?

My repair manual says, you have to remove one of the belts and for that the Front end has to be moved into 'Service position'.
No matter if it's the 4 or 6 cylinder engine, both for Petrol and Diesel (you didn't say what your engine is).
I have no idea if there's a 'not by the book' method to change the Alternator from below.
Regards
Wolfgang

Ah, that confirms my suspicion. Today, I actually look underneath and it seems to be impossible to do the job from there. Arrrrgh, this will be an expensive repair. Thanks Wolf!

yes, if VAG do it.
Not so much, a good 3rd party.

rpm. The mechanic told me since he disconnected the battery the onboard computer is not sync and needs to be brought to a dealer to clear the throttle speed memory. He have an instrument that shows the error code, it shows P1545. However, he have no way of fixing the error as he is limited to such tools and advice me to bring it to a dealer. Is there a way to clear the code on my own?
maybenot wrote:

Google shows: 01545    01545.Rl parking aid sender-G203
Looks to me like a sensor was bumped, broken or not plugged back in after the alternator was replaced.
"TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in message rpm. The

Update: Not much choice I brought it to the dealer and have them run TBA. Damage was $123.00, Arghh!! It seems to make sense to invest in VAG-COM, I believe it can do the deed according to what I've read in their site.