1999 Audi A6 Quattro

If the alternator is lit from the console, does this means my alternator is dead? I can still start the car but I believe it will not take long and the battery will be drain eventually. What does it takes to replace the alternator? Do I have to remove the front end or it can be replaced from underneath? TIA.

Reply to
maybenot

Angel D

Thanks for the input. Would you know if replacing the alternator I have to remove the front end or it can be done underneath?

Reply to
maybenot

My repair manual says, you have to remove one of the belts and for that the Front end has to be moved into 'Service position'.

No matter if it's the 4 or 6 cylinder engine, both for Petrol and Diesel (you didn't say what your engine is).

I have no idea if there's a 'not by the book' method to change the Alternator from below.

Regards

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Pawlinetz

Ah, that confirms my suspicion. Today, I actually look underneath and it seems to be impossible to do the job from there. Arrrrgh, this will be an expensive repair. Thanks Wolf!

Reply to
maybenot

yes, if VAG do it.

Not so much, a good 3rd party.

Reply to
tpow

Yes, I have it fixed by a third party shop now the problem is I get an engine check light and the car is sputtering @1.5 rpm. The mechanic told me since he disconnected the battery the onboard computer is not sync and needs to be brought to a dealer to clear the throttle speed memory. He have an instrument that shows the error code, it shows P1545. However, he have no way of fixing the error as he is limited to such tools and advice me to bring it to a dealer. Is there a way to clear the code on my own?

Reply to
maybenot

Google shows:

01545 01545.Rl parking aid sender-G203

Looks to me like a sensor was bumped, broken or not plugged back in after the alternator was replaced.

Reply to
TonyJ

Update: Not much choice I brought it to the dealer and have them run TBA. Damage was $123.00, Arghh!! It seems to make sense to invest in VAG-COM, I believe it can do the deed according to what I've read in their site.

Reply to
maybenot