2.0E Cabriolet running problems

Hi I have a 1994 2.0e Cabriolet. I have just had it serviced to cure this problem and it still happens. It then went back and had all 3 temperature sensors changed and the haul sensor replaced in the distributor.
I can be driving along and it will start to missfire or just cut out. I can then restart and carry on but it happens every 4 or 5 miles. It has been plugged into VAGCom but is not showing any faults.
Another thing it does is when the oil filler cap is removed the engine surges untill the cap is replaced is this normal for this engine.
I am so anoyed with it.
I would like to cure these problems soon as the engine is being removed to be replaced with a modified 2.3 bored to 2.5 20Valve engine on the week starting the 18th of this month. I want to know the engine I am selling is full working order.
Please Help
Brian Tonks
A failing MAF could act like this.
I5 20V in a Cab! I never knew that would fit. If you have done a chip and such that should be quite a ride. Are you thinking of a 5 spd conversion?
Brian Tonks wrote:

They did a 2.3 10V but not the 20V. I cna't wait to get it converted. It already has a 5 speed box. And I am going to retain the lower ratio 5 speed off the 2.0 8v engine, if I can so that accelleration is quicker....
Brian Tonks

I would guess that the lower ration is 4:11. I only have experience with the T44s on this but I would expect that the trans will bolt up easily. The Cab is FWD isn't it.
I suppose that you will be checking with Audiworld and MotorGeeks forums for suggestions on the conversion. Lots of helpful people on those sites.
Tony former four T44s current 98.5 A4 1.8TQM APR