$2,500 to replace the transmisson sensor chip??!!

My daughter took her 2003 Audi A4 to the dealer this week becuase periodcially, it would not go in gear. The dealer says that they "think" the sensor chip inside the transmission is bad. They reset
the central computer (aka re-boot to us IT types) and everything worked fine for a few days. Tonight she called and said it would go into reverse. After turning it on and off several times it finally worked and then the "check engine" light came on.
Of course, the warranty expired 2 months ago and I was stunned to find out that the transmission warranty is the same as the rest of the car. (Shame on me for not paying better attention).
Q1: am I out of line thinking that this is highway robbery? Q2: does anyone know a reputable Audi mechanic in the Atlanta area?
Ken
pyramid36 wrote:

Call Audi themselves and explain. There is a good chance they will be able to assist.
What if they replace this chip and it's still faulty, will they refund your money? I'd doubt it. Don't pay for their guesswork.