2.7T A6 MAF sensor

The MAF sensor on my 2000 A6 2.7T through a code about a week ago. My local shop (who I have used for years and trust - the dealer is 75 miles away and expensive) says that there is a history of MAF problems with AUDI. While waiting for the part, the malfunction indicator went out after a few restarts and has stayed out. The shop recommends replacing the MAF anyway. Any suggestions? Thanks. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce W. Ellis

Bruce, I've heard of many failing with oiled filter elements (ie - K&N) installed - the oil coats the wire in the MAF, and then the dirt (yes, some does get by) sticks to the wire, which then heats up and burns out. Look to some online sources for the MAF - I seem to remember there was somewhere that would rebuild the unit, and then there's car-part.com - they show listings for MAF's as low as U$100 for the 2.7t (assuming that you're in the US) Cheers! Steve Sears

1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k
Reply to
Steve Sears

This one is easy with a VAG tool or VAG-COM: check the part load percent adaptation for the MAF. If it's above or below the allowable adaptation range, replace the MAF.

I had a suspect MAF throwing codes and setting the Check indicator. I checked Measuring Block 32, part load was at +21% adapted. IIRC the allowed range is like +/-10%.

Audi replaced MAF meter, new p/n 078-906-461-B, cleared codes and took it out for a "readiness" driving loop, road test showed no further errors. When I got the car back, Measuring Block 32 showed the new part load at 1% adapted. Nice.

This MAF replaced under the "double-secret extended warranty" for MAFs of this type. Audi ate the service charge of $164.11.

/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

Reply to
daytripper

Check on Warranty Extension LR, Mass Air Flow Warranty Extension, dated Nov 2003, which extended the warranty to 70,000 miles or 7 years, whichever occurs first. During that time, AUDI will replace it free.

Reply to
TJ