2.7T Gas Mileage

Page 2 of 2
I call bullshit....

I live in New England, and have kept a mileage-tracking spreadsheet on all of our vehicles (for god only knows what reasons ;-) Over its life (I've owned it since brand spanking new), my S4 has averaged an actual 20.56 miles per gallon, while the computer-calculated mileage has indicated an average of 21.50 mpg. Not too bad an error rate (4.39%). All fuel used was at least 91 octane; and I'm guessing most of those miles were using 10% ethanol.
The vast majority of my S4 mileage has been on the highway, usually cruising at around 85mph in top (6th) gear.
Are you driving an A6 S-line, or ? I expect the 6er is heavier than my car, which might explain some of the difference...
Cheers
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

keep the revs to around 2000-2200, no hard acceleration or high speeds up through the gears.
keep tyres at the correct pressure.............
reduce air con/climate control running..............

Well, that's a little below the EPA estimates of 18/25, but, of course, that's the old estimate that doesn't reflect real-world driving like using the climate control, headlights, etc. Any codes stored in the car? You can get that checked at Autozone for free. Might not be a bad idea to make sure there is nothing going on that might not be generating a CEL. I'm not sure how the computer calculates the mileage but the old 'divide the elapsed mileage by the number of gallons' is the best way to calculate it. My computer seems to read a little high.
In my car I have averaged 22.78 mpg since new, 80% around-town driving.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA
"Ken K" wrote

When was the last time your sparkplugs and engine air filter were replaced? If it's been a while, you may want to replace them. 18 mpg seems a little low, but then again, it depends on how fast you drive.
Pete
Check the owner's manaul or the gas tank fill door to confirm the 2.7T needs a minimum of 91 Octane fuel. Being a twin turbo engine with knock sensors, filling up with a lower grade fuel will definitely reduce gas mileage and performance. Lower octane fuels also increase risk of clogging up the fuel system as well as increasing emmissions which is harder on O2 sensors, EGT sensors and all four of the the expensive catalytic convertors.
What is the vehicle odometer mileage?
Recommend a VAG scan to see if there are O2 sensor or EGT sensor codes. Failing O2's and EGT Sensors will reduce gas mileage. I replaced both front O2's at 80K KMs on 2.7T, they are primary feedback to ECU for auto adjusting A/F mixture. VAG-COM supports tests that can be performed to check responsiveness of O2s, they can become sluggish with age before triggering DTCs and CELs.
--
K04-S4

I have a 2000 A6 2.7L twinturbo. I use 93 octane. My mileage is about 21-22 from a mix of local and highway travel. When I average just the highway then the mileage seems higher ~25 and if it is local then it falls to ~19. Once my average went to 17 or 18 even with enough highway travel from 21. This went about few weeks and my car starting shaking and I had to turn it in to a mechanic (decent one) and he found lot of deposit on one of my valves. he opened up the engine, replaced it and costed me a lot of money. I would recommend spark plug change and engine cleaning to remove any deposits.

My 2000 A6 2.7T generally gives in the low 20's when at highway speed (~ 70). City driving in the upper teens. The nice thing about a relatively small V6 is that it will do well with gas mileage at cruising. The MPG depends on how much you engage the loud pedal (turbos). The power is there when you need it (to pass, etc.) but a large displacement engine is not being pumped when not needed. Your mileage may vary..
"Bruce W. Ellis" wrote

You call low 20s good gas mileage at cruising? Maybe for a 5-liter V10 engine. Most modern V6 and I6 engines can do much better these days.
Don't get me wrong, I know this 2.7tt is not your ordinary V6 and it lots of fun, but good gas mileage is not one of it's strong points.
Pete

VWs lack the high top gear that gives Japanese cars their good milage. It makes them more responsive but it costs dearly in cruising efficiency.
--
I don't read Google's spam. Reply with another service.

"Kevin McMurtrie"

Add to that the permanent awd system in that A6 2.7T which also negatively affects mpg, both from the mechanical and added weight perspectives. My 530i gets 30 mpg (US) if I cruise at 70 mph.
Pete
My 2004 A6 2.7T S-Line with 57,000 miles gets around 19 in mixed suburban driving with a gentle accelerator pedal and about 24 on the highway. Of course, when I'm having fun, it goes down to 14 to 16 mpg ... :)