2.7T Gas Mileage

I call bullshit....

Reply to
No Spam Please

I call bullshit....

Reply to
No Spam Please
  • Pete:

There definitely was a ~130hp version of the 1.8T engine in the old Passat (3BG). One of my flight instructors had such a car in 2003, made in Mexico. IIRC the life cycle of this version was rather short.

Benjamin

Reply to
Benjamin Gawert

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote

I'm sorry, but you've got it all wrong. The first time a 1.8T was offered in a Passat in the US was in 1998, and it had 150 hp. And it wasn't made in Mexico either.

The only engine that I can think of that had around 130 hp (134 to be exact) was a 2-liter non-turbo one offered back in 1990 on the Passat.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Apparently so short that there was only one made .

Reply to
No Spam Please

Apparently so short that there was only one made .

Reply to
No Spam Please
  • Pete:

I'm quite sure about that. I have seen the spec sheet, and we have been at a Volkswagen dealer in San Jose where he bought that car, and while he was giving it away for service I talked with the dealer who explaned me that he sells regular Passats made in Emden, Germany, and Passats made in or made for (I'm not sure of that) Mexico.

I know the Passat 3BG very well, and the interior quality of this Passat was noticeably worse than any 3BG I've seen before.

In 1990 there was no Passat 3BG.

Benjamin

Reply to
Benjamin Gawert

"Benjamin Gawert" wrote

What exactly is a Passat 3BG? I've never heard of this nomenclature out here in the US. Is it a B5? B5.5? B6? During which years was it available?

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Well, the 1990 Passat was the same as the 1991 - 1996 cars, so if the '3BG' nomenclature applies to the 1991 and newer, it should apply to the 1990 as well. And a quick scan of edmunds.com shows that the 2.0L I4 engine was available off and on through the '90's, until the 1.8T with 150hp debuted with the 1998 newly-rebodied Passat.

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58
  • Pete:

3BG stands for the internal VW model nomenclature (like "D2" and "4E" for the Audi A8). The 3BG is the facelift version of the 3B (the successor of the Passat 35I).

This is a Passat 3B:

And these are Passat 3BG:

And this is the old 35I:

The 3BG was basically made to make the Passat look more luxurious and to be able to compete with Mercedes C-class, BMW 3-series and Audi A4.

I don't know the timeframe it was sold in the US (but I doubt it differs much) but here in Germany the 35I was made from 1988 to 1996 where the

35B was introduced. It was replaced by the 3BG in 2000. The 3BG was terminated in 2005.

BTW: does the US also have the hazzle with bio ethanol mixture in regular fuel? Here in Germany the government forced that all grades of gas contain 5% of bio enthanol (E5 gas). A new law from 2006 now forces the percentage of bio ethanol to raise to 10% (E10 gas), probably starting already in 2009. Bio ethanol is very corrosive and can cause higher wear (especially in the area of valve seating), it's expensive to produce which makes the gas more expensive and also contains less energy than gas which leads to a lower gas mileage. Since it's still not really clear which older cars do tolerate E10 gas and which don't (for example, Audi says all models since 1992 can tolerate E10 - except FSI engines before 2004!) the government decided to leave around 1000 gas stations nationwide with E5 "Super Plus" (premium grade, most older cars only require lower grades) gas until 2016 where no E5 will be available any more in this country. Not only "Super Plus" is the most expensive gas grade, the E5 "Super Plus" will be even more expensive due to higher logistics and production costs. So you buy a new Ford Ka (compact car) today, you won't find any fuel for it after 2016. You have an Audi, Seat or Volkswagen with FSI engine older than 2004? Same problem. You have an Mitsubishi Carisma GDI? Same problem. And this goes on for lots of other cars, too. Besides that, even for the manufacturer it's not clear what long-term effects bio ethanol has in older cars. Isn't that great?

Benjamin

Benjamin

Reply to
Benjamin Gawert
  • Dano58:

Right, it's the Passat 35I.

No, it doesn't. 3BG was made from 2000-2005.

Benjamin

Reply to
Benjamin Gawert

My 2004 A6 2.7T S-Line with 57,000 miles gets around 19 in mixed suburban driving with a gentle accelerator pedal and about 24 on the highway. Of course, when I'm having fun, it goes down to 14 to 16 mpg ... :)

Reply to
TonyKiz