2.8V6 30V engine reliability

Does the 2.8V6 30V engine have any known 'weaknesses'? If yes, which are its weaknesses or high cost maintenance items? What mileage can be expected (under normal circumstances, normal driving + good
maintenance), give or take 20,000 miles. Is a life expectancy of 200,000 miles realistic?

$$$$$M question.........
so many relationships to consider,
previous use, life, way driven, services, etc etc.
Of course, we all know people that smoke and still live, but we also know that smoking is a health hazard. I am fully aware of that, I only want to know if there is a common denominator, a design flaw, something that clearly could be improved in this engine, as far as reliability/long term cost of ownership is concerned.
Oil leaks from the head gaskets is the only pervasive issue I've heard of.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

200k is just run in :)
A 1.8T will do 200k on the same turbo, the 2.8 v6 30v is pretty bullet proof and should see well in excess of 200k

Oil leaks are the biggest problem on that engine. TB replacement is costly. 200,000 miles is not unrealistic IF the engine is well-maintained with regular oil and filter changes.

he said DON'T MENTION MAINTENANCE...........and something about smokin'.
Thanks! this helps.
I sold my Audi A4 last year and the engine was still good. It's the other parts which failed and convinced me to sell the car. The catalysts, suspension, airbags went wrong. I was still on the original clutch and the interior looked still good. Hope this helps
--
G. Tarantino - Switzerland
2001 Audi A4 3.0 Q 167,000 km (104,000 miles)

Just out of interest - at how many miles did these part failures you experienced happen?
Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve!
The suspension failed twice. If I remember well, the first time at about 130,000 km and the second at about 230,000 km. The front suspension had to be replaced (control arms, etc). The airbags had to be replaced at no cost at about 120,000 km and they failed again at about 240,000 km. One of the two catalysts was broken (the sound is horrible) at about 240,000 km. I couldn't find a second hand catalyst, and I wasn't keen on buying a new one for CHF 1200 + about CHF 300 manpower (total about $ 1200). That last problem pushed me to get rid of the car for a small amount (about CHF 4500 i.e. $ 3500). Hope this helps. Regards Giovanni

Are you saying that all parts for the front suspension had to be replaced all at the same time: all 8 control arms, both sway bar links, and both tie rod ends?

No, that was not that bad. I think it was 2 control arms on each side, but that was quite expensive (in the range of $ 1000). I changed once the front shock absorbers at 230,000 km. There was a recall for the control arms, but as my car had more than 200,000 km, Audi paid nothing!
Regards Giovanni

plan to keep it for a good few years yet so it's not particularly encouraging to hear of your fairly major problems starting at only 120,000km!