20.4mpg display with engine light

I have an 2006 A6 and the engine light came on and the display where the mpg should be is stuck displaying a circle with a line through it and "20.4mpg" . has disappeared once but then it came back. any ideas
on what this could be. it's due for a 45K in about 3 months.
Thanks In Advance!

sounds like your Speed warning has activated, press the setting button to deactivate it, but get your CEL sorted soon.

cool thanx! it worked! btw, what is CEL?
On Fri, 15 May 2009 14:07:49 -0700 (PDT), against all advice, something compelled snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com, to say:

Check Engine Light.
--

Real men don't text.

Circle with a line through it is the symbol for showing an average on the trip computer so I would assume from your message that your display is telling you that your average mpg is 20.4.
Any other symptoms?