200 QT Idle

I've got a little bit of a rough idle, and now an occasional stall when decelerating. I've looked in the Bentley, but it doesn't seem to say to much in regards troubleshooting like a Chilton. Plugs, cap, and rotor where recently replaced. Idle rpm's look to be about 950 right now.

Thanks!

Bill Graham

Reply to
Bill Graham

Bill, How are the plugs, cap and rotor and wires? An excellent troubleshooting resource is the one on Scott Mockry's web site

A decelerating stall sounds like a problem with the deceleration fuel shutoff valve, or other massive vacuum leak. Try this: Get a pressure regulator and an air compressor, and make up a cap wich can seal the intake except for an air hose from the regulator. Pressurize the intake to about

1.6 or 1.8 bar - not too much or you'll blow the pressure sensor in the ECU. Listen for hissing - that's where you have a leak. Some shops have a smoke device that pumps in smoke into the intake, leaks will let the smoke out. Cheers! Steve Sears 1987 Audi 5kTQ 1980 Audi 5k
Reply to
Steve Sears

Thanks Steve.

This is beyond my skill at this time. I might have used the wrong plugs, Bosch Platinum. The guys who runs Intended Acceleration have an brief article about this. He states that these are NOT the plugs to use for the turbo Audi's.

Here's the link:

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Graham

Put the other plugs back in. They're Bosch W7DTC's. Went out and drove it and it stalled in traffic. It took about 5 minutes to start again, then it seemed o.k., but now I'm certainly anxious and nervous about it.

I understand that there could a few culprits. But I'm broke. This year has been very bad for my family in the employment arena, and unfortunately my familiarity with this car is in it's infancy, as is my skill level. NOVICE!

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Graham

At the throttle, which controls the idle speed: the linkage or the screw at the bottom rear beneath the cable?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Graham