2000 A4 Airbag Light

Does anyone know if it's normal for the airbag light to come on only when there's a passenger in the rear? I have front and rear side curtain airbags and thought maybe something was being disabled due to
an occupancy sensor.
Thanks
Brad

The unit is under the left backseat on mine (other model). I had problems like that when the seat was put in without taking care of the wiring.
Ronald
Ronald wrote:

Yep, I had to have the seatbelt until (which apparently has the sensor in it) replaced under warranty a while back. On my car, it was the passenger's side rear (LHD).
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA
Dano58 wrote:

So are you saying the light should come on when a rear passenger buckles there seatbelt?

No, it should NOT come on. It WAS coming on and staying on (sometimes blinking) prior to having the seatbelt unit replaced.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Got it, thanks.
Do you happen to know if while that light's on, an airbag won't deploy?
1.8 Junkie knastet inn: :

The whole control unit should be deactivated, as the system report some failure. Too bad, if one airbag blew out by mistake ;-)
1.8 Junkie wrote:

Well, that's a good question, the owner's manual doesn't specifically say what would or would not happen with the light on. I'm not sure if the side curtain airbags are one big unit that covers both front and rear windows, or are 2 separate units, one for the front window and one for the rear.
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

That unit controls them all (also front ones)!
Ronald
Dano58 wrote:

I guess it's just best to fix the problem rather then finding out the hard way.
Thanks
Brad