2000 A4 - Four Beeps

Any ideas why my A4 has just started beeping four times from somewhere in the rear of the car? Seems to happen just after startup, and mainly on very
cold days.
cd changer in the rear?

No.

Do you have the factory alarm system? Is it the same beeping that you hear when you lock the car?
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Factory alarm I believe - not the same beeping.
Marcus Redd wrote:

Your alarm siren box has a battery backup, and it's getting low on charge. It might fix itself, but otherwise you can
a)put up with it or b)replace the siren.
I suppose you might be able to open it up and replace the battery? I don't know anyone that has tried though.
The siren is probably in the boot somewhere. On an A3 it's buried in the rear nearside (left hand) quarter panel below the subwoofer and central locking pump.

Ah, ok! How might it fix itself?

I had the same problem on my A4.
Four beeps from the back somewhere. It is the battery backup on the alarm telling you it's dying. If you scan with VAG-COM there will be an error stating such. Eventually, it will stop beeping but it won't 'fix' itself. The code will still be there. If you clear the code it will start beeping again for a while.
I just left it until it stopped beeping and forgot about. It doesn't impede the car in anyway other than if the main battery is disconnected the alarm won't continue to sound (and probably something more).
I think it is about 150 ukp for a new box which is hidden in the boot behind all the trim so it will cost a fair amount of dough at a garage to fix.
Hope this helps
Richard

Thanks Richard (and everyone else) - good to know.
Marcus Redd wrote:

The battery performs poorly in cold weather, and if the car has stood a while it gets low on charge. If the it chrges up a bit and/or gets warmer, it will stop whinging. Mine only ever did it in the cold. As my A3 was under warranty, I got it changed.
Had the same problem with my 00 A4, it was the main battery that was on its way out, it eventually died on me and i replaced the battery, and that also sorted the 4 beeps that i was getting, HTH.

Thanks! It's a possibility - someone left an interior light on recently overnight.
Although the beeps have gone now it seems...