2000 S4 Turbo gone south

This morning on my drive to work I noticed a trail of dense white smoke, and the "check engine" light came on. After a tow to the (independent) shop, I was told that one of the turbo's was burned up and it was recommended to replace both of them at a cost of $5000. This car has 37000 miles and has been serviced as recommended. Do you think I have any shot at getting the factory to help with the repair? Is it really reasonable to replace both turbos at this time, and is the estimated cost reasonable? Thanks.

Reply to
rsachs

Ouch, that kinda hurts. You can always try talking to Audi, but that might hurt too, :o) I wouldn't replace both turbo's unless they both need to be replaced, depends on what caused to failure too. Try going the aftermarket root, you might get better turbos, for less cost.

Romy, '98.5 A4, 2.8L w/no turbo's

Reply to
Romy

get bidding :) assuming its right side

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

Talk to the dealer. If serviced as recommended (and not abused by driver) this should be covered by Audi.

Rune S.

Reply to
Rune Skigelstrand

Isn't that covered under the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty????

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

I didn't realize the warranty wasn't 4/50; My error.

As for conventional oil and 10K changes, I agree!......I have a 2001 Audi A4 (2.8L V6) and I ran an oil change with Mobil 1 5W30 (synthetic) and I had the oil analyzed. The oil had 9,600 miles on it.

The results weren't great; In summary, Blackstone Labs said to go to a

6,500 mile (at most interval) if I was to continue to use Mobil 1 5W30. I know it isn't ACAE B3, but I asked for Mobil 1 and that is what the dealer put in!

Now, I am running German Castrol 0W30 (available at AutoZone) and it is ACAE B3 rated. The oil will have 7,500 miles on it when I send it in for a sample (probably in April).

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Oh, I remember your post on BITOG now. I think I even responded to it. ;-)

I also used to run M1 5w-30 in my A4 1.8T, but at 5K mile intervals. Right now I've got M1 0w-40 in there, but will be switching to GC 0w-30 at my next oil change.

Cheers,

Pete

Reply to
Pete

In 2000 Audi had a 3 year 50k mile warranty in the US.

In 2001, 4/50

Reply to
Avantium

I Norway, they had 1 year only in 2000. At some time later on new EU rules dictated a minimum of 2 years. However, my experience is that they got loads of 'unofficial' warranty/coverage - typically 100% within 3 yrs and 50% within 5 yrs. Changed the Xenon bulb on my -98 A6 with 80' km on it a couple of weeks ago: 50% of the cost was covered by Audi.

Rune S.

Reply to
Rune Skigelstrand

Both turbos, at the same time? =20 This suggests some common cause. Is there a fault in the lubrication system that needs fixing? =20

My 95 Volvo 850 turbo wagon (one turbo, 5 cyl, 222 HP) is still going strong at 190K, not a hint of turbo problems. =20 (Now that I've said that, it'll blow up tomorrow in the center of five lanes :-)

Doug Warner

To update this story: I had the car towed to a dealer (Valley Motors in Baltimore), where they confirmed the original diagnosis of a blown turbo. The service agent said both turbo's must be replaced, and that the factory will cover 3/4 of the cost, even though the car is a year out of warrantee. That's the good news. The bad news is that my 1/4 of the cost will be $2200. Seems like a lot, but it's still better than paying $5k out of pocket at the independent shop, and I know (hope) the dealer will make sure the repair is done satisfactorily. I'm hoping to get the car back in a week or so. Thanks to all for your comments. Bob from Baltimore

Reply to
rsachs

Forgive me if im wrong but your saying that you pay $2200 for 1/4 of the work, this equates to $8800 to change 2 turbo's ??????

There taking you for a ride.

An Audi S4 Turbo will cost you $999 ask them where they get the other $6000 from, ive allowed them $800 in labour.

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

When I read this original post a while back, I thought the numbers looked a little off, but there is NO WAY that an S4 (2000-2002) Turbo swap would cost $999. That is just TOO little. I am in an S4 group, and several people have had to have their turbo's swapped. Most end up costing in the range of $5500 - But there are plenty of extra items that could need to be replaced which could increase the costs.

Each K03 costs at least a grand each.

Cheers,

Adam

Reply to