2001 1.8T CD Problem

2001 A4 1.8T with "symphony" stereo/bose option..... AM/FM/Casette/CD (in dash).
This vehicle was purchased recently and the CD indicates an error code=1
(invalid cd). Since the cd's play fine in other cd's I assume there's a problem with the unit in the A4.
Anyone have experience with this problem? Any ideas re troubleshooting before taking in for repair?
Appreciate any info you're willing to share.
I have the same problem, on occasion, with "homemade" CDs. Is this a homemade or factory CD disk?

Tried both type disks and have now used a "cd laser lens cleaner" all to no avail.....still error code=1.

If the problem persists you'd better shelve it and get an mp3 player instead. I followed the recommendation for it of someone in this newsgroup and have loved my system ever since plus the number of songs you can play is unbelievable.
JP Roberts