2001 A4 1.8.T sludge problem

A week ago the oil pressure warning light in my

2001 A4 1.8T came on. I took it to the dealership and they found out that the screen leading up to the oil pump was totally clogged. The repair cost me $2600. The dealership tried to get the repair covered by Audi, who refused, saying I had missed a service. In reality, after the warranty period got over, I have got oil changes done every 6000 miles. I had the 60K and 80K services done, but no full service at 70K (an oil change at 66K, and another at 72K).

I had thought of following up with Audi after I got the car back. After I got the car back, the oil pressure light came on again the very next day

- after I had driven the car for only 25 miles more. So, now the car is back at the dealership and they are trying to figure out what's wrong.

What are my options at this point? For the 2001 year, Audi recommended oil changes every 10K. I got ALL oil changes and services done at an authorized dealership.

Will these guys be able to figure out whether there's permanent engine damage? The next thing they plan to look at is the oil pump, which itself might have congestion.

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
sst117

I have a 2000 1.8T and am aware of the potential sludge issue. Letting the engine idle for a minute after highway driving is recommended. Specific oil is also recommended but Audi (synthetic).

First I would check all your oil change receipts to see if they used the recommended oil. If not > Their problem and their cost.

Given that your oil light has returned after their expensive service I would suspect that their first diagnosis was wrong and the problem is due to something else like a bad (and cheap) sensor.

Reply to
Tony

There's a lot of info out there on this issue. Do a Google search on 'audi sludge' or something similar.

The problem is, they can't just replace the oil pump screen, the entire engine needs to be cleaned out. You should be able to tell by looking inside the oil filler - everything should be relatively clean, no black deposits. Unfortunately, this sludge problem creates a lot of issues.

If it were me, I would spend a lot of time geting my records together. Put together a spreadsheet with all of the oil and filter changes, when done, what oil used (if you can figure that out), etc. Audi of America is very picky when it comes to paying for this repair, which sucks considering that owners following their service intervals are the ones getting screwed here, not just owners that ignore the services.

Here is one good reference -

Good luck....

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Thanks for all the replies.

So, I clarified what the dealership meant by I missing a service. They say that my post-warranty records are fine. But while being in the warranty period, my

40K service was done "a couple of hunderd miles" too late. I called up Audi too, and after speaking with the dealership, they gave me the same answer. This is indeed ridiculous.

The current problem seems to be the sensor. Dealership says they are continuously running the engine at idle and at one point the low pressure light came on, although their guage showed the pressure was fine. I also asked about cleaning the engine, and they told me that they had opened the top cover during my previous visit (when the pick up screen was changed) and checked the camshaft etc. They did not find any signs of scorring or sludge. Should I be satisfied?

Thanks again for all the replies.

Dano58 wrote:

Reply to
sst117

I think that their mis-diagnosis of the screen should be their responsibility (and cost). Seem quite clear to me.

They are grasp> Thanks for all the replies.

Reply to
Tony

I recently bought a 2001 A4 Avant 1.8t Sport privately - very low mileage, still had something like 11,000 miles till next service, only done 100 miles or so in the last year.

Driving back from the sale, at around 70miles in (and having put my foot down quite a few times), the oil pressure warning light came on. Checked the oil, plenty there.Waited a few minutes, drove on again, light stayed off for another 30 miles. Called Audi dealer, they said it sounded like it needed a good run, but to call my local garage who have a good rep. Local garage said it sounded like a faulty fuel pressure switch. Booked in for an oil and filter change and to have the switch replaced. All done, new switch has been redesigned, car working beautifully (couple of thousand miles later.) The sensor cost me around £10 (ten pounds sterling.) Total "repair" job cost me £65 (including oil and filter change.)

Btw, I tested the car afterwards, driving it like a maniac for 95 miles straight, and really flooring it after the 70mile mark (which is when it first manifested.) No problem. We then drove from Scotland to the south coast of England - no problem. Then from London back to Edinburgh. No problem.

Reply to
Marcus Redd

Reply to
Samar