2001 A4 1.8T coolent temperature gauge

Since my last (80K) service, I have noticed that the coolent temperature gauge does not always reach the midway point. It has never gone past the midway point, but sometimes it
just hovers around it on the lower side. At time it will reach the midpoint and then go down a little. Manual says it should remain "somewhere in the middle". Should I be concerned about it? Thanks.
Sounds normal to me.
Tonyj 98.5 A4 1.8TQM
Samar wrote:

"Samar" wrote

It should stay smack dead in the middle. The gauge has a dead range right in the center, so +/- a few degrees, it'll stay planted in the middle. If you notice if falls to the left during hwy driving, but is around the middle around town or in traffic, I'd suspect you need a new thermostat. At 80K miles, you should replace it anyway, along with timing belt and tensioner (hopefully you've done those already). Otherwise, if not thermostat, it could be a faulty coolant temp sensor or coolant gauge, but those are more rare.
Cheers,
Pete

A faulty coolant temperature sensor is not that rare - I've replaced it a couple of times in 80,000 miles on my 98 A4.
My vote is for it being a bad thermostat. Both the thermostat and the coolant temperature sensor are common problems. However, when it's the sensor that's the culprit, the behavior of the gauge will be more erratic. If the gauge is consistently reading on the low side, chances are that your thermostat is bad.
Samar wrote:

The consensus seems to be that it's either the thermostat or the temperature sensor. It should be simple and relatively inexpensive for a competent Audi mechanic to test the temperature sensor. The cost to replace the thermostat would be considerably more.
Thanks for all the replies. In either case (temperature sensor or thermostat), do I need to get it fixed immediately? Or can it wait until next week?
iws wrote:

As long as the temperature indication remains only slightly off normal, it shouldn't hurt to wait until next week.