2001 A4 2.8 throttle response irregular

Hello. This is my first access to this group, so be kind!

I just bought a 2001 A4 2.8 Quattro with 14,000 miles on it. I'm pretty happy with the car in general, but one thing is ruining the driving enjoyment. The car has very erratic and unpredictable throttle response, especially from a stop with (attempted) gentle acceleration. It seems impossible to predict the result when the gas pedal is depressed gently. Often nothing happens until it is depressed a bit, and then the car jumps abruptly. Occasionally, one gets a decent, smooth acceleration, but not usually. Then, during acceleration and shifting, the acceleration is erratic also. I almost always get complaints from passengers, and I hate it.

I took the car to the dealer, and they said it was "normal" and a result of the "drive-by-wire" throttle system. The technician did do something, however, because it seemed a little better for a day or two. I think the service writer said something about resetting the throttle, or something. Maybe he reset the "adaptive" system -- I don't know.

Anyway, I'm really desperate to get his fixed. It's uncomfortable, and somewhat unsafe.

Anybody know what to do about this problem??? Can the computer be reprogrammed, does the throttle servo need replacing or cleaning, is the pedal position sensor bad, is there an air bypass at the throttle valve that is misadjusted, is there an after-market chip available, etc???

RapidRon

Reply to
RapidRon

I have a 2001 A4 2.8Q with an automatic and I have never had that problem, so I don't believe it is normal.

You might try a different dealer or take it back and insist they fix it...see if there are any 2001s on the lot to test drive and see if they do it.

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-this.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169 Anti-Spam filter in place--

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Reply to
Costa and Adriana