2001 A6 2.8 oil pan leak and axle seals leaking

I just had an oil change and my flex/catalytic converter changed and Speedy told me I have a leak from my upper? oil pan and my axle seals (rear differential) are also leaking a bit. I never see any oil on the
ground however have now started to smell some after driving for a while. ANy idea how expensive these repairs are? Are they common for this model? Should I only have an Audi Dealer do the repairs? Otherwise a great dependable vehicle! Tx. Ottawa
Speedy oil change? Have it checked by someone other than an oil change person just to be sure. AFAIK They always seem to say OIL PAN even if the leak is much higher up the engine and leaking down the oil pan. Are you sure it is oil you are smelling and not exhaust from the work that was just done? How much oil do you have to add every XXX miles?
JMHO dave (One out of many daves)

I have it changed every 5,000 Km/3000 miles--mainly highway too. I was 100 km/60 miles over when the low oil warning light came on. I can now definitely smell oil after running for a while (this has just started) but never see any on the ground so I was thinking perhaps a hose, plug or something other than a seal. Are there 2 pans in this model?
dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:

You may be experiencing the 'external lubrication' feature that almost all 2.8s experience. They develop oil leaks at the rear cam seals on the back of the heads. From there it drips down onto the exhaust headers and makes the smell you have noticed. This can only be corrected by removing the valve covers and the cams to replace the seals. this would be a good opportunity to replace the timing belt and associated items. The good news is that once it starts it doesn't get any worse. Just an irritation.