2001 A6 gas warning on dash

My warning symbol (of a gas pump) that I am low on fuel comes on when I have plenty of fuel. Sometimes it stays on the length of the trip, other times it goes out after a few minutes and sometimes it never
comes on. The gas gauge itself seems to be just fine.
Anybody have an idea whats I should replace?
Thanks in advance Sam Taylor Reply to snipped-for-privacy@mt.net Fight SPAM Follow your heart