2001 S4 glove compartment

I have a 2001 S4. The plastic handle to the glove compartment broke. I can reach in and pull the little metal thing to open the compartment, but it's ugly and it doesn't lock. A mechanic
says Audi wants over $500 for a replacement because they only sell the whole drawer, not a separate handle+latch assembly. He suggested I visit a junkyard.
Is there a cheaper source or way to fix this?
If I take the junk yard route, what models and model years use a compatible glove box drawer?
At least I know now that the lock won't stop anybody willing to use a little muscle power.
--
John Carr ( snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu)

On 28 Jul 2006 15:44:29 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu (John F. Carr) wrote:

Unlikely to find a cheaper solution than the junkyard.

I'd think most any B5 A4/S4 glove box door would fit. I don't see anything "S4" specific about the door on mine.

Well, you actually knew that all along, didn't you?
/daytripper '00 s4 6spd

I thought breaking in would require a tool instead of a hard pull.
--
John Carr ( snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu)

You could try these guys, they're very helpful.
http://www.shokan.com /
Large selection.
I have a 2001 S4. The plastic handle to the glove compartment broke. I can reach in and pull the little metal thing to open the compartment, but it's ugly and it doesn't lock. A mechanic says Audi wants over $500 for a replacement because they only sell the whole drawer, not a separate handle+latch assembly. He suggested I visit a junkyard.
Is there a cheaper source or way to fix this?
If I take the junk yard route, what models and model years use a compatible glove box drawer?
At least I know now that the lock won't stop anybody willing to use a little muscle power.
--
John Carr ( snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu)

John F. Carr wrote:

They haven't gotten much better! I am on my third glovebox latch (fortunately under warranty)...
Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

parking tickets ? :-)
I cant remember when I had mine opened last time!
/Jens

I was putting the radar detector in there when I parked in the city.
--
John Carr ( snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu)